Listen to this.
Here are some of questions that arise when I listen to this kind of music:
- Is this irreverent? What makes it reverent or irreverent?
- Does this music speak well of the deity the Jewish people purport to worship, or of the piety of the individuals performing this music?
- How is this any different from popular Christian music?
- If this had “really really good words,” (let’s say “really really good” Christian words) would that make this music acceptable as Christian worship?
- Do you really believe that non-Christians listening to popular Christian “worship” music find this any less strange than you found this piece?